Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 07:27 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Opinions are like armpits. Everybody has a couple and they usually stink.
Stink wins over foo-foo all the time.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:35 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I'm running a DX6 myself and the only reason I'm thinking of replacing it is wear and tear and it took a shelf dive a couple of years ago and broke off the antenna cover.
I have been thinking of doing the same. Mine has taken some falls no thanks to my clumsiness. And it seems to land on the antenna.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:13 PM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd like to pick up on GG's point in Post 12263 about the use of immoderate language in internet posts.

I saw a brief video on YouTube about an American volunteer in the Ukrainian International Legion (UIL) who was killed in the Russian lines. Having established his nationality the Russians put his corpse into a coffin, arranged a local truce and handed over his body to the Ukrainians. Maybe they did this with any Ukrainian fatality they found in their positions, maybe both sides do this, I don't know, but this man's body was certainly handed over to the Ukrainians. He was known as "Bible John," perhaps that was even his call sign.He had long hair and a beard and being a religious man, he would include passages from the Bible in his everyday speech. He had served for several years in the American Army.

What surprised me was not the content of the video, c'est la guerre after all, but the vehemence of some of the responses from, presumably, American respondents. These included, "He got what he deserved," "Mercenary" and "Traitor." Now I'm quite prepared to believe that these views may have been sincerely held or perhaps they were posted out of sheer maliciousness. It is of course much easier to be offensive at your keyboard in the privacy of your own home than it is to proffer potentially inflammatory remarks in a public setting.

As for the first accusation, when he signed that form to join the UIL he knew what he was doing. He had already acquired considerable military experience, and as for being a mercenary, well all soldiers of Western nations are mercenaries in that they are paid to fight and they fight for pay. I don't know how much the UIL pay their volunteers but I doubt whether the Ukrainian government is in a position to shell out huge sums of money to pay these soldiers. Please correct me if you know otherwise.

Treason? I'm aware that if any American Citizen joins a foreign army that he has committed an act of treason but what about the ten American pilots, some sources state eleven, who volunteered to fly with Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain? Were they all traitors? If so, eight of them "got what they deserved" for only two survived the war. And what of all of those "Canadian" pilots who joined the Canadian air force but who seemed to have very little idea of Canadian geography? Or what of the 30,000 Americans who apparently crossed the border into Canada during the Great War prior to 1917 to join the Canadian Army? Were all of these traitors too?

May be some of these men were motivated by a desire to defend Western Democracy against German militarism in general and against Nazism in particular. We owe our freedoms to all of those who died fighting tyranny in the Twentieth Century. May be Bible John was motivated by a similar desire when he put his name down on the line. Just my two pennorth.

The weather has turned cold here falling below freezing overnight Ten days ago Frans and I were both wearing tee shirts and shorts when he soloed for the first time on his Radio Queen. The club is holding a qualification day on Sunday. I will have to wrap up warm for it.

Incidentally, "Bible John" was the soubriquet given by the press to a serial killer who murdered three young women in Glasgow in 1968 and 1969. He has never been caught or identified.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:16 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by David John Davis
I'd like to pick up on GG's point in Post 12263 about the use of immoderate language in internet posts.

I saw a brief video on YouTube about an American volunteer in the Ukrainian International Legion (UIL) who was killed in the Russian lines. Having established his nationality the Russians put his corpse into a coffin, arranged a local truce and handed over his body to the Ukrainians. Maybe they did this with any Ukrainian fatality they found in their positions, maybe both sides do this, I don't know, but this man's body was certainly handed over to the Ukrainians. He was known as "Bible John," perhaps that was even his call sign.He had long hair and a beard and being a religious man, he would include passages from the Bible in his everyday speech. He had served for several years in the American Army.

What surprised me was not the content of the video, c'est la guerre after all, but the vehemence of some of the responses from, presumably, American respondents. These included, "He got what he deserved," "Mercenary" and "Traitor." Now I'm quite prepared to believe that these views may have been sincerely held or perhaps they were posted out of sheer maliciousness. It is of course much easier to be offensive at your keyboard in the privacy of your own home than it is to proffer potentially inflammatory remarks in a public setting.

As for the first accusation, when he signed that form to join the UIL he knew what he was doing. He had already acquired considerable military experience, and as for being a mercenary, well all soldiers of Western nations are mercenaries in that they are paid to fight and they fight for pay. I don't know how much the UIL pay their volunteers but I doubt whether the Ukrainian government is in a position to shell out huge sums of money to pay these soldiers. Please correct me if you know otherwise.

Treason? I'm aware that if any American Citizen joins a foreign army that he has committed an act of treason but what about the ten American pilots, some sources state eleven, who volunteered to fly with Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain? Were they all traitors? If so, eight of them "got what they deserved" for only two survived the war. And what of all of those "Canadian" pilots who joined the Canadian air force but who seemed to have very little idea of Canadian geography? Or what of the 30,000 Americans who apparently crossed the border into Canada during the Great War prior to 1917 to join the Canadian Army? Were all of these traitors too?

May be some of these men were motivated by a desire to defend Western Democracy against German militarism in general and against Nazism in particular. We owe our freedoms to all of those who died fighting tyranny in the Twentieth Century. May be Bible John was motivated by a similar desire when he put his name down on the line. Just my two pennorth.

The weather has turned cold here falling below freezing overnight Ten days ago Frans and I were both wearing tee shirts and shorts when he soloed for the first time on his Radio Queen. The club is holding a qualification day on Sunday. I will have to wrap up warm for it.

Incidentally, "Bible John" was the soubriquet given by the press to a serial killer who murdered three young women in Glasgow in 1968 and 1969. He has never been caught or identified.
Sadly there are those individuals, commonly referred to as "trolls" who live for bringing the negativity. No matter the circumstances they find something provocative to say and call you stupid if you dare to disagree with their point of view. It is one of the problems with the anonymity of the internet is that a troll can as a "presumably" American commenter say whatever provocative thing that they wish. I haven't seen the video in question and even if I had, I couldn't determine the nationality of the commenter but I do have to wonder if there isn't a room full of people out there some where whose job is generating such comments. Not that it is anything new. Generating provocative comments for mass consumption has been around at least as long as the printing press. Granted, I live in a relatively conservative part of the U.S. but most of the people I know are at least generally supportive of the Ukrainians. The more politically minded will acknowledge that their government might not be the greatest but they support the Ukrainian's right to their sovereignty.

With regard to the serial killer, I worked a good chunk of my career in forensic mental health. Most of the work revolved around competency for trial but there was a lot of training regarding the psychology of murderers, spree killers, psychopaths and so on. Pretty much every professional in the business will agree that the practice of giving these individuals nick names is worst thing that the press could do. Many of these individuals are driven by a desire for notoriety. It gives them a sense of power. There was an article in the news yesterday that described a person who was arrested for planning a school killing as "wanting to be famous".

On a more uplifting note, I'm just about finished with the Sterling Tri-Pacer. So what to build next? Things in the kit stash include a Skyshark Stuka, House of Balsa P-51, and a 1/3 scale Pete racer. One of these days I'll even finish the Pfalz biplane.
The following users liked this post:
David John Davis (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 12:42 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mgnostic
On a more uplifting note, I'm just about finished with the Sterling Tri-Pacer. So what to build next? Things in the kit stash include a Skyshark Stuka, House of Balsa P-51, and a 1/3 scale Pete racer. One of these days I'll even finish the Pfalz biplane.
You sound as bad as me! I just add a SIG Dornier Do-217 to my stash.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:25 PM
David John Davis

I've always admired the Tri Pacer. I expect that it will fly well.

As stated above, the club will be hosting an event on Sunday in which flyers will be able to gain nationally recognised qualifications. One of the candidates will be a fourteen tear-old called Hubert who can fly better than anybody else in the club except his dad! Inverted circuits, no problem! Inspired by a video on the internet I dug out my ED Competition Special diesel engine and put it into the test stand. I had not run this engine for at least ten years and I was concerned about the whether the fuel would still be combustible.but it had been stored in a tightly sealed metal container so I soon managed to get it started! By hand at that. Apparently you should not use an electric starter on diesel engines. From the numbers stamped onto the engine I was able to deduce that it was the 222nd example made in November 1948!

I'm going to take it with me to the flying field tomorrow to show Hubert. I bet he's never even seen a diesel engine. Brief video of an ED Competition Special on the test stand here:
. Mine has an aluminium duel tank.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:23 PM
GallopingGhostler

That is amazing, David, talk about tick over reliability and easy starting. That ED Competition Special diesel, those type 10x8 wide blade props are no longer available, but I bet with experimentation, one can find a prop producing similar thrust, may have to go to a larger diameter modern prop, say 11 or 12?

I was pleasantly surprised to see two ED engine articles on Sceptre Flight:

Sceptre Flight Model Engine Tests: ED Comp Special from 1949 Model Aviation (UK) and Sceptre Flight Model Engine Tests: ED Competition Special (2) from May 1948 Aeromodeller by Lawrence H Spary.

Displacement is 0.122 cu. in., (2 cc), BHP 0.109 at 7,000 RPM. First article shows suggested planes, both CL and FF to use. The engine can power a 1,300 mm (51 inch) wingspan FF, which is not bad.

The relative horsepower is similar to the more modern Cox .09 Medallion with R/C throttle setup, but that engine turns 7 inch props, perhaps a Fox Rocket .09 side port. The ED can power bulkier cross section fuselage free flights, because with a larger prop, it can put the wind past the fuselage with better thrust.

Thanks for sharing, there's nothing wrong with old tech.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I was very pleased how easily my engine started but after running a tankful of fuel through it I found that the threads in the spinner nut had stripped. They were probably worn anyway, I'm not usually that ham fisted! I have a Tupperware box full of odds and ends and I managed to find a steel nut (4BA?) which fitted perfectly so I should be able to run it tomorrow.

Maybe I should restore Uncle Ivor's Keil Kraft Outlaw.

Old 04-20-2024, 12:52 AM
GallopingGhostler

David, you are in a bit of luck, Outerzone has a PDF plan of the KK Outlaw: Outerzone (oz8824) Outlaw by Bill Dean from Keil Kraft (ref:P-7) 1955, 50in span
Old 04-20-2024, 06:04 AM
David John Davis

Keil Kraft used to be the biggest manufacturer of model aeroplane kits in England right through the Sixties and Seventies and Bill Dean designed most of the models. They were mostly free flight designs. If you search for Bill Dean on The Outerzone website you'll find fifty-five plans. He was a flying instructor on Harvards and Tiger Moths during the Second World War. In later life he moved to New York City where after a spell working for the Zaic brothers, he ran a book store. I read somewhere that he married a black girl but can no longer find the reference.

Last edited by David John Davis; 04-20-2024 at 06:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GallopingGhostler (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 11:39 AM
GallopingGhostler

That is a bit of interesting trivia of Bill Dean that I did not know, David, thanks for sharing. Perhaps he was a contributor towards Zaic's 46 inch (48 inch if one measures along the swept back wing spar) Aero Star of the early 1960's?

Outerzone (oz5612) RC Aero Star by John Zaic from Aero Models 1962, 46in span

I have the kit, and it is interesting that as a rudder only single channel R/C plane, it has swept back wings, a very unusual cabin design.

And, the fact you have a complete Outlaw that overall looks well preserved, with only the deteriorated silkspan covering to remove and refinish, I could see it relived as a rudder only R/C assist plane.

With my R/O's, I used to shim either the wing or stabilizer or both, to decrease decalage so it could fly controlled in a breeze. On my Top Flite Ken Willard designed truncated wingspan 27 inch R/C Schoolboy, on winds at 15 MPH, I'd shim the trailing edge say, 1/8th to to 3/16th inch. It would not climb as quickly, would have a faster steeper dead stick glide, but at least I was still flying. This was not bad as it was Cox .020 Pee Wee powered.

Got to where I could dead stick the plane to withing 10 feet of me.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 04-20-2024 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:51 PM
David John Davis

I must admit that I have been thinking of finishing the Outlaw as a single channel model mostly to be flown on calm days. I could also demonstrate free-flight trimming to those whose only experience has been four-channel radio controlled flight. On the other hand my landings are bad enough even with an elevator!

To return to the subject of trolls, I responded to a question on YouTube about the significance of the "bullseyes" painted onto British Battle of Britain fighters.

I explained that when the First World War broke out none of the aircraft of the belligerent nations had any markings on them to indicate their nationality and that consequently whenever an aeroplane flew over a body of troops, everybody would blaze away at it! The risk of loosing an aircraft and expensively trained crew to friendly fire was quite high so the Germans started to mark their aircraft with a black Iron Cross. I've heard that the Knights Templar of Malta who successfully defended Malta against Moslem invasion, were mostly from what is now Germany and that was why the German Army adopted the black cross as it's insignia, though the two crosses are not identical. The Knights Templar were monks who lived lives of poverty, chastity and obedience, religious study and aiding the sick and the poor like any monastic order but additionally they were all trained soldiers.

The French, with commendable Gallic logic, reasoned that the opposite of of a black cross was a red circle so a red circle was initially painted onto French and some British military aircraft. Commander Salmson's BE2a which flew over the landing beaches at Gallipoli where he saw the sea stained with blood, was marked in this way. Then some bright French spark realised that if you put a blue disc in the middle of the red circle and a white ring between the blue disc and the red outer ring, you'd have something which looked like the cockades which were worn in the hats of the 1789 revolutionaries, and so the roundel was born. The British Army adopted the same markings but with the oolours reversed, i.e, red, white and blue from the centre outwards, in fact all of the Allies went on to mark their aircraft with roundels in their national colours. The Belgians used black yellow and red and the Americans and Russians used white, blue and red, again from the centre outwards. The British, French and Belgian air forces continue to mark their aircraft with the same insignia to this day and the German air force has resorted using an Iron Cross on its aircraft having used a straight sided black cross from 1918 to 1945.

Having written all this, I received one response, "Bull****!"

Not "I believe that your views are mistaken and that the real reason for the adoption of such markings is as follows..." I asked the responder to suggest where I had gone wrong but so far have not received a response.

I don't know why I bother!

Last edited by David John Davis; 04-20-2024 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:58 PM
David John Davis

P.S. A little piece of trivia concerning those American "traitors" who flew with Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain; they all wore standard uniform-issue RAF tunics. Pilots from nations such as Canada, New Zealand and Poland also wore standard RAF tunics but with the name of their homeland sewn onto the shoulders. Of course in the summer of 1940 the USA was not yet at war with Germany. If any of these pilots had been captured wearing uniforms with "USA" sewn onto the shoulders it would have provoked an international incident!
Old 04-20-2024, 10:13 PM
GallopingGhostler

I must admit that I have been thinking of finishing the Outlaw as a single channel model mostly to be flown on calm days. I could also demonstrate free-flight trimming to those whose only experience has been four-channel radio controlled flight. On the other hand my landings are bad enough even with an elevator!
David, the Outlaw being light with reasonably lightweight R/C gear, should be a hardy survivor if landed in grass, even if landing was a little less than perfect. This is in contrast to heavier aircraft, which don't withstand rough landings as well. This is one of the reasons why I always loved half-A flying. It was the light weightedness of the aircraft that made them so survivable and forgivable. Nowadays with the electrics, they are called park flyers and are more common. Back some time ago, it seemed that one testosterone was based on how many cc's displacement one's engine had. I sought fields then on various military bases, where then no one made a big fuss and was considered healthy entertainment.

To return to the subject of trolls, I responded to a question on YouTube about the significance of the "bullseyes" painted onto British Battle of Britain fighters. [...] in fact all of the Allies went on to mark their aircraft with roundels in their national colours. The Belgians used black yellow and red and the Americans and Russians used white, blue and red, again from the centre outwards. The British, French and Belgian air forces continue to mark their aircraft with the same markings to this day and the German air force has resorted using an Iron Cross on its aircraft having used a straight sided black cross from 1918 to 1945.

Having written all this, I received one response, "Bull****!" Not "I believe that your views are mistaken and that the real reason for the adoption of such markings is as follows..." I asked the responder to suggest where I had gone wrong but so far have not received a response. I don't know why I bother!
20+ years ago, there was a gifted cartoon artist and gather he was also an administrator of computer systems and software. His name is Mike Reed. I captured his various cartoon caricatures and saved them to my hard disk, prior to his web presence and blog disappearing. Here is one of his caricatures that is apt in your situation:

Archived from Mike Reed's former no longer on-line blog, Flame Warriors.

Some people unfortunately are *rse holes. They do it on line, because they can get away with it, without facing retribution like they would in person. Mike Reed also had other forum characters pegged, too. Here is one I am sure we've come across with:

From Mike Reed's no longer available blog, Flame Warriors.

And, sometimes, one innocently gets attacked by a group of trolls seemingly simultaneously:

From Mike Reed's no longer available blog, Flame Warriors.

Regarding trolls, although it is easy to let one become "un-nerved" at their insults, I've found overall, the best way is not to reply. Along the way, usually someone else will respond positively. I reply to them, and them only. Trolls are bullies, and short of an adminstrator or moderator terminating them or their post, there is really not much one can do.

At least here in RCU, one can report the abuser. I have seen posts deleted by a moderator after I reported the troll post. I don't know about YouTube, but at least here, moderation is very effective and well done.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:35 PM
GallopingGhostler

I stand corrected, just did a search, and his blog is back on-line. For a while a decade ago, it went off-line, but it is back.
Flame Warriors by Mike Reed
Just noticed that a new character not in the old blog, Pinko, has no graphics yet. About half of the web pages are missing the cartoon graphic, but have the text descriptions. Appears the blog is not fully restored yet.

Someone else has made a back up of Mike Reed's site as a single web page:
Politics Forum: Flame Warriors by Mike Reed which points to:
Wayback Machine: Flame Warriors NOTE: This appears to be a complete backup of the website and best to watch.

Another individual in his blog describes Mike Reed's work and points to an archive back up of his old website:
TV Tropes: Website / Flame Warriors

A little bit of biography on Mike Reed's artistic skills:
Corel Painter Master - Mike Reed

Anyway, I think you will enjoy perusing the various characters as humorous "therapy".

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 04-20-2024 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:58 PM
David John Davis

Too busy to worry about trolls today. Wash, shave and full English breakfast at Aigurande before helping out at the qualification day.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:19 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I saw this somewhere on the interweb. I saved it to my computer.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:20 AM
flyboy2610

I think Statler has it right:

Old 04-21-2024, 09:22 PM
David John Davis

All of the candidates were successful in gaining their flying qualifications yesterday, young Hubert passed on both fixed wing and rotary wing models. That boy seems to grow six inches every time I see him! All of the models except for one were electric powered ARTFs, a sign of the times. The exception was a large ARTF pattern ship powered by a 60cc two stroke. The owner broke the undercarriage on landing.

I was unable to demonstrate the ED Competition Special because the thread on the prop nut failed. An expert on the Model Flying website has informed me that I require a 2BA nut and that helicoil inserts are available so I will be able to repair the original spinner-nut.

After an apero of white wine and black currant juice we had a lunch of potato salad, pork or beef and pork sausages, pasta and peas washed down with a red Vieux Papes followed by bread and cheese and a dessert of chocolate mousse, cream and pears with coffee made by one of the ladies who supports the club.

I wimped out of flying myself because it was too cold and windy! I can fly in a wind but don't enjoy it much.

As for the man who damaged his aircraft, he has returned to the hobby having last flown in the Eighties. He spent over 1000€ (£861 Sterling or $1067 US) on a transmitter and even more on the model and engine. The servos and receiver for a model like that would not have been cheap either, then he was too scared to fly it! I used to think, "What a poseur!" but now I just feel sorry for him. At least he has stuck with the hobby and he has been very helpful to the club in other ways.

The club's chairman or président resigned because his wife was giving him so much grief about the amount of time and money he was spending on the hobby! So we've had three chairmen since the start of the year. it reminds me of the British government!

It has dawned bright and sunny here, Time for a shave and shower, dog walk and breakfast before a busy day's gardening.

Last edited by David John Davis; 04-21-2024 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:44 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Enjoy the gardening David!
Old 04-22-2024, 06:16 AM
scottrc

I had a flying partner who has a few diesels. Very interesting engine. Does anyone still make them, or conversion kits?
Old 04-22-2024, 08:11 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrc
I had a flying partner who has a few diesels. Very interesting engine. Does anyone still make them, or conversion kits?
Bob Davis passed away back in 2019 and I don't think anyone took over the Davis Diesel business. There are still converted engines out there. MECOA has some diesel stuff. Diesels still have some popularity in Europe.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:24 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrc
Progress Aero Works of Macclesfield, Cheshire, England still make some but it is not their main business. I believe that they are mostly made to order.

https://www.eifflaender.com/
Old 04-22-2024, 10:27 AM
scottrc

Thanks for the updates for the sources of diesel engines. I have a rotary, but never had a diesel and was thinking of trying one.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:51 PM
flyboy2610

All of the candidates were successful in gaining their flying qualifications yesterday, young Hubert passed on both fixed wing and rotary wing models. That boy seems to grow six inches every time I see him!
That tends to happen around that age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.